Monday, September 7, 2009

Breakdown

Sarabande. A song by Bach, which I learned on guitar to play for my HSC. I dedicate it too my mother, for personal reasons, and had to perform it today in front of a live audience for practice. I stepped into the room to retrieve my guitar to practice, only to discover a performer was missing, and I was the only one available to perform. Rushed in front of everyone unprepared, I quietly awaited for my introduction to be completed.

That was when my feelings began to hit me. Memories - the few i have of my mother, began swirling to the surface. My teacher, with her back turned didn't notice the first tear run down my face, and drop onto my guitar. The soft tap it made travelled through the microphone, and was slightly amplified. The front row members of the audience noticed, however, and whispers generated. I struck the first chord to alert the teacher i was ready, and my introduction was completed.

As i began to play through the piece, tears began chasing the first, and softly landed on the body of the guitar. My teacher, who had now noticed could do nothing. I played the song to the dead silent audience, accompanied by the soft tapping of teardrops on a hollow body. Fortunately, I had no friends in the audience who would later attempt to comfort me. Not even Lisa showed up, which is a positive; I hate being seen upset. I was oblivious to the clapping of the audience as the piece concluded, and before my teacher could ask what was wrong, I stood up and left.

Not looking back, I packed my guitar in its case. I heard my teacher unevenly announce my leave, and introduce the next performer.
Before she could leave the room to see me, I was gone.

4 comments:

  1. thats beautiful
    sadly beautiful,
    but to me, that makes it even more beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy bach, Im not good with things so Im googling that peice. Is it a breakdown or an emotional release? your stronger mentally then you give yourself credit for playing it thru.
    Sometimes the best questions are those unasked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not sure myself. You could call it a bit of both really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chase, just got this thing going full tilt again, lot of catching up to do. sometimes those memories flood our emotions, hugs

    ReplyDelete